Perfect Moment Monday: Revisionist History
March 2, 2009
And now, the Perfect Moment.
My mother has a broad-stroke knowledge of politics, to put it mildly, but in many ways I consider her opinions to be the pulse of the nation. Less than a year ago, she referred to Obama as “that black guy.” Now, almost every day she brings up some Obama news — never having anything to do with the actual job of being President.
- “Obama was on TV today.” (She says this almost every day.)
- “Did you like Michelle Obama’s yellow suit from the inauguration?”
- “Sasha and Malia’s hair always looks so nice.”
- “Sasha always wants her dad to carry her. She is too old for that. Why is she such a baby?”
- “Malia was on TV wearing a pretty coat. I saw a little boy today who wasn’t wearing a coat at all! What kind of parent doesn’t put a coat on a little kid? I always made you wear a coat.”
This weekend, she brought up a photo she’d seen of several presidents together. I think she must be referring to the meeting at the White House in January.
Mom: I saw a picture with all of the presidents. Obama, Bush, Ronald Reagan…
Me: Ronald Reagan is dead, Mom.
Mom: Are you sure?
Me: I’m sure he’s dead. I’m not sure if you saw a photo of him.
Mom: Oh. Then Obama, Old Bush, Young Bush, and Hillary’s husband.
It is a great day for feminism.
I’m pretty sure that Lori from Weebles Wobblog can name most of the living presidents.